New Things Bring New Perspectives

Madeline - Marietta, Georgia

I believe in learning new things. There is so much importance in making an effort to develop yourself and show yourself you are capable of being a part of something unique and special. Painting and music do more than just entertain me; the arts inspire me. They take that world and turn it in to something refined and rare that is unique to each and every piece but exists within them all. The arts make ordinary things seem extraordinary because they came from someone’s heart not head. It is important to look at things from that perspective and the only way to do that is to reach a higher level of thinking by learning to perceive things in a new light. There is a voice that speaks to differently every time you are continuing to practice a piece or are beginning a new work. There is a new flow of energy and rhythm. Each of life’s experiences bring a bout a new range of perception and a painting or musical piece reveals its own experience by letting you see through the eyes of another.

I learn to paint every time I attempt to create a new picture. I find new methods and better techniques, and I perceive it differently. Painting is bittersweet, and I find myself craving more and more. From the instant I learned I have only grown through it. Many summer days and lazy Sunday afternoons have past where I was literally breathing art. I would load up my wagon with all the necessities; brushes, paint, canvases, and mineral spirits, and I would wheel all it down the street with the most delicate of grace so as to not potentially harm any of my prized possessions and spend hours immersed in another world of inspiration and creativity. I continued this journey by outlining my piece, etching a rough image of the picture I was soon to develop. Using a mucky orange or green I would lightly trace along the edges of the orange or vase that I could see on the canvas. Base colors always dark and muddy appeared first, giving the image its first breath of life. Then highlights; bursts of bright and light colors giving depth and drama creating a perspective of looking in on another world and seeing a mirror of a new reality. Once completed I had a canvas that now displayed something real and meaningful that others could now appreciate and visualize.