I Believe in Squishing My Toes in the Sand

Natalie - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: carpe diem

Going to the beach with my family and friends helps me let loose and have a great time. My family and I especially love going to St. Thomas. We go there all the time. The familiar salty breeze and crashing waves have become like a second home to us. My sister even had her bat-mitzvah there. Her party was on the beach at the hotel. My family and friends spent the whole night dancing barefoot on the beach. Going wild and jumping around with my feet in the sand felt amazing. Nothing could stop me. The whole night was like a dream. All our cares vanished even if only for that one night. We didn’t care that it was hot and we were sweating or that our hair got frizzy. All that mattered was that we had fun and kept dancing the night away.

Some people may ask, how do you know when you’re truly relaxed? I know I’m relaxed when all I think about in each moment is the moment, when my mind doesn’t wander to unimportant details. I’m relaxed when I can be myself completely and not care what people think about me. I’m relaxed when I can laugh at myself and let other people laugh at me.

The last time my family went to St. Thomas, my sister and I made friends with two boys, Daniel and Andrew. One night we were all hanging out sitting in the sand on the beach when Daniel and I decided to get up and take a walk. The whole night was perfect. The air was warm but there was a cool breeze. A full moon and bright stars lit up the sky. Everything seemed the way it should be. As we came closer to the end of the beach, washed up shells and rocks covered the shore. One big, slimy rock sat flat in the water. Just as I started to walk over it I slipped on the rock and fell flat. The water rushed onto the beach and left me sitting soaking wet in my clean clothes laughing hysterically. Of course, Daniel couldn’t help but laugh too. I didn’t care. I didn’t even feel embarrassed. We laughed about it for hours after.

Most people remember those light-hearted moments in life the most. So why not relax and take advantage of the good times? One day these memories will be all we have. I believe in making the most of the time we’re given. I believe in letting loose. Simply, I believe in squishing my toes in the sand.