What Equality Means in America

Bryan - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: equality

Equality rules supreme in the United States but not in every American. I learned this from the classmates of my first USA school.

My family and I had recently immigrated to America from Korea, so I did not know any English when I first came into my third grade class. A single Korean girl sat in that class. I did not know any American customs or manners, so the Korean girl was to teach me all the customs and manners. She failed because she did not speak any Korean. I was left to fend for myself. Everyone in the class including the Korean girl mocked me, secluded me, and bullied me. I was different. Yet among classmates mocking me, a single girl stood firm and defended me. One day when I was sitting alone in the playground enjoying some peace, a group of bullies came up to me and started to make fun of me. Since I did not understand any English, I did not know what they mocking me for, but I knew they meant to hurt me. I simply tried to block them out of my mind and hoped they would stop. Then suddenly the girl who always defended me appeared and scolded the bullies. An argument broke out between the bullies and the girl. They threw harsh words I did not understand at each other. After several minutes, the bullies slowly walked away mumbling and looking back several times. Then, the girl turned to me and smiled. She did not say anything. She did not need to. I was very thankful, but I did not understand why she defended me. I did not do anything for her nor did I deserve anything from her. Yet she did defend me, and from her I learned what equality truly means. Equality is not just treating others the same as you, or just having an equal number people of different races in employment. Equality means defending anyone who cannot defend themselves. Social distinction will always be in our society but distinction does not let us treat anyone any less than how they should be treated as equal humans. If we have the opportunity to defend the equality of someone then we have an obligation as American to do so.

Equality for all. That is the concept this great country is founded on and it will forever remain in my heart thanks to all those who defend the weak. No matter where we go, no matter what we do, no matter who we are around, we must be equal to all. I believe in equality to all.