Jonathan - Marietta, Georgia

I Believe in the Power of Friendship

Friends are essential to living a good life. Friends are with you through the good and the bad times; they grieve with you, and they laugh with you. Friends are there for you whenever you need them. I believe in friendship.

While in elementary school, I wasn’t the most outgoing eight year old. I had friends, but they were just school friends. To make matters worse, my dad made me move where I didn’t know anybody. However, to my surprise I started making many new friends and then I started having friends coming over to watch movies, work on projects, or both. In addition, I soon started going to their houses. It was always a time full of laughter and fun. We would play video games, football, and basketball. Some of my best memories are of me and my friends just hanging out and doing different activities. By the end of sixth grade, I had so many friends it was hard to believe.

The first year of high school was very different. I wasn’t able to see or talk to my friends any more because we had different schedules. I had to go to a class where I didn’t know anybody. I was going through the same thing that a new employee does when he is going to work for the first time not knowing what to expect. Days passed, I started becoming friends with many of the sophomores who were in my class. I joined many clubs. I soon noticed I had a huge variety of friends. Many of the friends were older than me; thus, they were often able to help me in classes that I was doing poorly in. They were helpful. They would often set aside some of their time to explain things to me until I was able to understand the overall concept. The way they looked out for me made me feel that I had older brothers.

I believe friendship is very important. The influence friends have on you can shape who you will become. I often try to remember how I met one of my friends; however, I always draw a blank. It is always very shocking how I can’t remember where I met a very close friend. I have realized that it doesn’t matter how me met. All that matters is that you have a good friend who is there for you and doesn’t just use you and then act like he doesn’t know you. Friendship has to be pure. I believe friendship is the key to living a good life.