John - Cheboygan, Michigan

I believe in family. When there is something on my mind that I feel I can tell no one, my family will be there to listen. When life has me at wits end, I know there is someone there to talk to. When I’m at a new low and feel like there’s no way out, my family will be there to guide me.

Don’t get me wrong, sometimes family can be a pain, but I know deep down in my heart that there is no one I would rather see. We have our disagreements, our quarrels, our fights, but when all is said and done, my family is all I have to fall back on. I used to not get a long with my brother. Heck, we still find stuff to disagree upon, but if anything were to happen to him, I do not know what I would do with myself.

I remember hearing stories of family members getting in a fight and not talking for years. In the end, they both do not even remember what the fight was about. I had such a situation back when I was ten. My aunt and her two kids started living with us. Well three months in, we got into a fight. They went from being our guests to total nuisances, so my mother asked them to leave. About a month after they left, my parents got a divorce and I blamed her for it. Days went on and my anger grew. Days turned to months, and months turned to years. My anger had slowly turned into fear, fear that I would not ever talk to her again. Seven years had passed and I had not talked to her. She came up to visit a few times, so I stayed at my dad’s house. Last July she came up to visit and I decided that I would try to patch things up. She knew how I felt, but didn’t say anything. After a while, we talked and everything worked out. I do not know what would have happened if we didn’t talk, but frankly, I don’t want to know.

Through the help of believing in your family, you can go far. You may have to make some sacrifices to help things run smoothly, but in the end I believe that you will feel better about yourself. My sister blew the engine in her car just last weekend. Who’s the first person she came too? Me. I needed my car for work, college, and other random errands, but I put that all on hold so she could get to work. Despite the convenience of having my own car to use when needed, I could just get a ride with my dad to anywhere I need. My sister does not have this convenience. When she needs to work or even just wants to get away from her kids, my brother and I are always there to babysit. Every month it seems my dad has to borrow money from me. He always gets it paid back in time, but borrows it back right after. It might as well be his money, but I do it because I know he needs the help. I sometimes get told that I am too nice, but I will never think twice to help my family.

No family is perfect. What matters is the glue that holds them together. I like to think that I am the glue of our family. Never turn your back on a family member. In the end they are all you have. Keep them close, for tragedy may strike and you might not be able to tell them how you feel. Forgive and forget. I believe in family.