Jacqueline - Winfield, Illinois
Themes: children

Oh, to be Young Again…

I believe in the knowledge and advice of youth.

I recently jumped into the world of adulthood on November Seventh of 2007. As my classmates and friends around me slowly turn to eighteen, we enter into a new world. It is often hard for us to be heard, but I feel it is important for my friends and I to express our opinions.

People need to give the youth around them a chance to speak out on what they believe in. One should not be judged on how old they are, but rather how they act and present themselves. I want to be respected by the adults around me, and give them the youthful advice that they need. Adults can all learn from the youth—truly they can—it is just a matter of opening up those ears and listening.

The youth can give this world a breath of fresh air. Working with the youth at a summer camp I have come to cherish their opinions and comments. The kids made me laugh and cry with the stories they shared with me each day. And, when the day came to an end, and we all laid in our beds, each one of them were the same, serene, asleep and dreaming away without a worry in the world. It is through these years I learned from other youthful minds, I believe I have also taught my parents to take a breath and look at what is truly important, besides dwelling on work, and the stresses in their life. I have come to learn that you can solve a lot more by relaxing, then freaking out about the little things in life, but it took a child to show me this, and realize how relaxing life can truly be.

Everyone needs to step back and look through the eyes of an innocent child at some point in time. They can often show more of what life should be. It could be as simple as slowing down. Or, as in my case, stepping back and seeing what is truly important; my family always sitting at my side, and my friend giving advice whenever I need it.

And face it; the youth put fun and laugher into the world; whether it is a son or daughter amazed and entertained by a box or a brother or sister making up words to songs at the family dinner table. There is so much joy and knowledge in the young generations around me.

As I grow older I hope I can still laugh as hard as I do now and lay on the floor with my hands clenched around my abdomen with pain. I want to enjoy the world around me, and learn form my children some day, just as I try to teach my parents. This I believe.