Amy - Portorchard, Washington

It doesn’t matter if you have a couple good friends or several, what really matters are that you have them. Friends can be close like family, or in some cases, they become family. A friend will always be there to pick you up when you are down and never let you feel alone or unloved. They are there to make you laugh and share in life lessons and experiences. Friends are family, friends are companions, friends are teachers and students alike.

Some friends you grow up with, always spending time at your house or theirs. These friends may even know more about you than you know about yourself. You reflect in commemoration and nostalgia, laughing at the petty, priceless moments shared. Likewise, there are friends met at an older age, yet you feel like you have known them forever, as if reunited from a past life. They fit well and are just as good as the friends you grew up with, always there, never failing.

They say you can learn a lot from your elders, but really you learn from everyone, friends especially. We learn as we grow and who’s to say you have to be old to be wise enough to teach someone? Companions may reminisce about past aberrations and learn from them, or just share something they have learned or experienced that can help us in one way or another. Little things your friends tell you about what they have learned that may seem insignificant at the time, may in the future come in handy.

In times of hardship one can rely on a friend for comfort, who will always lend their condolences when sorrows take hold. When companions must part this can be devastating to one another, yet they share the same pain and know that they will be a phone call away. Even in the absence of a friend a relationship can grow, distance makes the heart grow fonder. The presence of one friend can make a transition to a new place seamless. I found that new friendships and relationships can bloom from the company of a single companion.

I recently moved from my home in California up to Washington, and upon my arrival met up with an old friend from high school. Through my connection with him I met new acquaintances making my transition simpler. At the expense of his home and company he made life easier for me to make the move. With out him I still would have made friends but it would have been more difficult. He offered what he had to a friend in need, which ultimately began my life here in Washington

I believe friends are extremely essential to our everyday lives. Without someone to share life experiences and come up with crazy schemes, how boring would life be? Friends are there to dig you out of a ditch or they may be at the bottom with you. Still they are always there. Friends are family, friends are companions, friends are teachers and students.