Brandi - Reno, Nevada

Why is this happening to me?

Sitting on my bed one day flipping through the

channels on my radio, I hit the country stations and heard a song that caught my attention. I write a lot, poems and stories usually and especially when something such as a song inspires me. I always write down quotes and random sayings that I like so I wrote down this lyric that had gotten stuck in my head like glue. I had only caught the second chorus and the rest from there but the main lien just amazed me, I actually sat there and “whoa” just kind of came out of my mouth. To me the saying, quote, lyric whatever you want to call it, was so true. I turned around and grabbed my bright purple magic marker and wrote the words “God doesn’t make mistakes” across the front of my radio. So of course I spent the next couple of days writing poems locked up away in my room, working in silence.

Around the same time of my discovery of my favorite saying, my sister was going through a very rough patch in her life and it was kind of putting a damper on her personality.

She was going through a very Romeo and Juliet type situation where my parents were not letting her see the guy she “loved” he wasn’t the greatest guy and she always ended up crying over something he did and said. Just a genuine jerk but for some reason he meant a lot to her life. To help you understand a little more you have got to know more about my sister, she believes in love more than anyone I know, she believes second chances are rare and this was hers.

So like always in my house there was screaming but also with a lot of arguing and crying, form my sister of course. So by the end of the night my sister had locked herself in her room crying and from what I know from her she was probably listing to sad songs.

It was killing me; I couldn’t stand to watch her endure this pain over a guy, especially one that never seemed to have time for her. I had to let her know it was going to be ok. So back in my room I sat, again in silence, and just started to write. Not a poem or anything artistic just a heartfelt letter to my sister, telling her I knew it was only going to get better form here, and of course at the bottom, “ God doesn’t make mistakes”. So I lurked my way to her room and slipped the paper under her locked door. Not long after that had my sister left her room, tear stricken face to give me a huge hug. Even with the circulation being cut off and the fact that her tears and who else knows what was now on the back of my shirt I could tell that it meant a lot to her and she was going to be ok.

Even though I got this belief from a song that I only heard once and didn’t even hear the whole thing it meant something and I think it will stick with me my whole life. Every time I get in those situations where it feels like it’s the end of the world, which consequently is frequent with me, (I’m an over reactor) I think of that saying. I do believe with all my heart that God or in someone else’s case whomever they believe in wouldn’t be doing something to them without something to bounce off of it. I always just think “He” wouldn’t be putting me through this for any reason something is going to come off of it. Even if it happens now or ten years from now, or the result doesn’t even affect me at all maybe someone else. It all makes stepping stones up to the person we leave this world as. Holding on no matter what and always having faith in whatever or whom we believe in. It’s not wrong or of course a mistake, it’s going to happen, and even when you change it for the better that problem was there for a reason. You just don’t always know what it is yet. That’s for you to figure out and not to challenge the fact that it will happen.