Mindy - Cheboygan, Michigan
Themes: children

I Believe In Children

I believe in the smiles upon children’s faces. The moment of laughter that makes every problem in the world seem like everything will be okay. I believe in the slight giggle as something tickles their sides or the laughter when a gust of air is blown on their belly and makes a silly noise. I believe in the happiness of their future.

The best feeling in the world is when I get home from an awful day at work and see the joy and laughter on my son’s face because he is happy to see me. In that moment I feel like everything that has gone wrong that day at work doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that I’m okay and that my family is all there for me. After seeing my son’s smile, I feel warm inside, like sipping a cup of hot chocolate in front of a cozy fire on a cold winter day.

I believe a child’s smile can brighten a room full of loneliness and sorrow. When I am working and see children’s laughing faces, I smile thinking of how peaceful they are, and of my son. I laugh when I visualize his toothless grin. I love to see the laughter upon a child’s face. When their parents look so lonely, and the child still smiles, I think to myself that if only the parent would look into their child’s eyes, then they might realize that things aren’t so bad. I believe that when a person sees a smile it is a natural instinct to smile back, and when everyone pays more attention to the smiles that are around them, they might not feel so terrible. I believe that if people just take the time to see, then everybody might smile a little more.

I believe in the sound of a child giggling. No matter what the weather is like my son always has his grin that is followed by a slight giggle as if he knows something I don’t. I believe in the mysterious behavior that starts a child’s giggle. Just that one moment of tiny laughter that can make everyone in a room smile, and make me want to know what the secret is. My son’s giggle is like a moment of clear thinking, or a time to collect my thoughts, and sometimes a breath of fresh air.

I believe in the brightness of a child’s future. When I look at my son’s face, I think of all the possibilities that he has. I realize that time goes fast, and that one day he will be a smart young man on his own. I just take one day at a time, and smile with my son hoping that things are not as bad as they sometimes seem.

I believe a child’s laughter and personality is the stepping stone to tomorrow. If everyone smiled a little more, or even took the time to take in a child’s smile, then things might seem a bit better, even if they really are not.