Emily - moultrie, Georgia

I believe in the amazing power of my dog’s ability to put a smile on my face even when i’m covered in tears and mascara. After having the same dog from when I was in first grade until I was a ninth grader, she was still able to pick me up when i was face flat on the ground. Dogs can just do that to you for some reason. After ninth grade, my family and I received another dog who was actually put under my growing list of useless teenage responsibilities. At first I stayed distant from her, not wanting to show any love or care for the hassle I just knew she’d become, but after a few weeks I couldn’t help but notice the way she followed me around, cuddled up in my lap, nudged my hand with her nose until i’d pet her behind the ears, and roll around on her back in front of my feet so I could scratch her belly. I know she seemed quite demanding, but I could tell that she was growing on me, and I had already grown on her although I wasn’t treating her to the best of my abilities which made me feel quite guilty. From the moment I finally realized that she would always be my dog to take care of, I treated her like a best friend, and she treated me like I was the god of all gods. A dog will love you unconditionally, and thats that. Being able to have something that I know will never stop loving me no matter what, makes me unbelievably happy. Seeing her smile and laugh, which dogs really can do, brings a lot more joy into my life than I could have ever really imagined. I thought I was the luckiest girl alive to have my dog. Well I was wrong. Over the next two years our family bought three more dogs. A grand total of five. Hectic right? Of course. But I haven’t let one day go by without greeting each and every one of them with a hug or kiss, and sometimes a thud on the floor…they often like to crowd around your feet. Whats even more comforting is that they would greet me back with sloppy tongues, scratching paws, and a never ending supply of love and gratitude they seemed to radiate from their insides. Now, I feel like I’m the luckiest girl in the universe. If one puppy can make my smile bigger than than the paw of a black lab, just imagine what 5 can do. There really is no way to explain the way a great dog can make you feel. They’re almost like your child, they’re your best friend, and most of all, they’re your sidekick until the end. This is why I believe in the power of dogs.