Vincent - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: golden rule

I believe in the ethic of reciprocity. In other words, the golden rule; “do unto others as you would have them do unto you”. I am sure that most people have heard of it in one form or another because it is found in almost every major religion.

I first started following the golden rule when I was younger. My brother and I would fight all the time when we were in elementary school. We were always getting into fights over that seemed important then, but looking back, I now realize that they were truly trivial matters. Neither of us ever won the arguments. We both lost in the end, because we were both grounded by our parents. The punishment did not stop us though, because the next day we would be at each other’s throats again. After this cycle went on for while, I decided to change my act. Whenever he was rude to me or insulted me I would ignore his comment and compliment him. Now every time he tried to antagonize me, he would get in trouble and I would receive no punishment. After realizing that he was the only one getting in trouble, he eventually stopped bothering me, although we did have the occasional scuffle. That is when I realized that if I was kind to others, kindness would be returned to me because now we get along very well.

As I live my life, I do my best to not to perform any action that I would not want to happen to myself.