Kimberly - Round Rock, Texas
Themes: death, illness

Have a Little Faith

I absolutely love this Bible verse, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” (New International Version, Heb. 11.1). Many times throughout the course of my life, I have felt like nothing is going right. Life has hit rock bottom and there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Somehow, despite my occasional cynicism, faith and hope (collectively) have been the driving forces to keep me strong-willed.

One of my most life-changing experiences was when I was a year and a half old. I was diagnosed with Clearcellsarcoma, a form of cancer, in my right kidney. Being so young, I have little recollection of what happened within the next two years that followed. What I do know, however, is that when all the neighborhood toddlers were outside playing in sandboxes, I was stuck inside wearing a mask that covered from my nose down to prevent any germs from getting in. It’s hard to explain to a child what cancer is or what causes it. I remember the doctors describing it as a green, hairy monster inside of me, but not to worry because they were going to send in a hero to kill it. I think about this analogy now and I laugh.

However, my story of having faith and hope does not deal with me directly. It mainly deals with my family. Although I was a victim of this life-threatening disease, my parents continued to trust in God and pray daily. What I never knew (until just recently) was that I had people all around the country praying for me. My extended family would go to church and express concerns for my health and strength for my family. Churches would send cards and pastors would visit and bless me. This was actually pretty awkward, especially when I got to an age where I began remembering more. When random people came to visit, my first reaction would be, “Who are you? Why are you here? And do you have any candy for me?” Not until many years later did I finally understand how much of a blessing these people were in my life. They had faith and hope. I have learned that there is hope, even when it feels like there is none, and that faith holds everything together, even when it feels like everything is falling apart.

I wasn’t supposed to live—but you have no idea how thankful I am to be here, in this place, right now. I know that it is a miracle that I am still alive today. It is hard for me to watch people give up when I know that there is hope, especially when I see those who are physically suffering, just like I was. I have hope that there is a cure. I believe that having faith and believing in hope can make any day a little less hectic, no matter what is happening. I believe that hope takes people to places they never imagined they could go. It’s that little something extra that everyone should have in their daily life. Hey, you never know—it could make miracles happen.