Vilma - Denver, Colorado

I Believe in Word Fairies

By Vilma Morales

Denver, CO

I believe that the ultimate purpose of spoken language is to thread the web of our destinies. That there is a direct link between words once sound is given to them and the realities that forge around us and others in our path.

As superstitious and self-grandiose as I myself recognize this to sound, I believe that each of us possesses a magical influence on those we speak to, wish things to, and make statements to.

I believe that the multi-billion dollar self-help industry that markets the positive thinking and outlook towards life is just riding on the coattails of the little word fairies that go around delivering the karma of our words.

I believe that there are no coincidences, but deliveries from the word fairies.

Like the time I got very upset with our neighbor and his son for riding their dirt bikes late at night and, after a year of just thinking ugly thoughts finally broke down and wished aloud that he would get hurt. Just to learn that a couple of months later, while riding his bike on his new property, hundreds of miles away from us, he died in a bike crash.

Or like when a former lover said he could never love anyone like he loved me and decades later he is still alone, unable to find some one he could love that much.

Or like my constantly saying to my husband “only good things will always happen to you” and his constantly saying to himself “I will always treat others with respect and honesty.” And, no matter how tight the situation gets, things fall into place for him, all the time and with very little work on his part, if any.

The self-help counselor would say that these are just choices we make in our lives, but I believe that only when the statements are spoken, the desired destiny begins being weaved.

I believe that the webs of our destinies become more complex and tangled and less decipherable with every statement we make to ourselves, towards and to others, and others to us.

I believe it is not positive thinking that matters, but positive spoken words.

I believe that quiet, unspoken words do not wake the fairies up, thus, no consequences take place; that the teachings of silence are the teachings of peaceful emptiness, because no destiny is being forged. And that it is in silence that we encounter peace because we stop the web from being weaved.

And even after our death, the word fairies will deliver, some time into the future, the curses and blessings we spoke.

I have grown to believe that I have control over the magical power of my words and of what the fairies will deliver on my behalf, but mastering such magic is, well…I would rather no say it aloud.