Neha - Roswell, Georgia

Playing the Game of Life

“Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well.” This quote by Josh Billings is one of the few things I try to make sure I live life by. Teachers, parents, friends, even you, are always saying that life isn’t fair. Unfortunately, it’s true. Life isn’t fair, but that doesn’t mean we should stop living life. Right?

When I was young, I was known in my family for holding grudges. If someone upset me or I didn’t get what I wanted, I would sit all day in my room with frown on my face. Whenever this would happen, my dad used to explain to me that while I was upstairs not having any fun, everyone else was having fun. It never really occurred to me what he was trying to say until my freshman year in high school. For the first time in my life, I was faced with decisions, real decisions, which I alone had to make.

After my first couple weeks in high school, all my friends from middle school had a new array of friends from their lunch table. Oddly enough, all four of my best friends had the same lunch, so their new friends were all the same. I, unfortunately, didn’t have a lunch. Several times, I would be left out of the Friday night plans simply because I didn’t know the person whose house the event was taking place at. I used to go home and complain about how it wasn’t fair. My parents explained to me that often times, things don’t turn out the way you want them to, but there’s nothing you can do. Instead, take what you have and make the best of it. While my friends were having fun, I was brooding. It was in this moment that I realized it’s up to me how things turn out. My parents were right—I just have to make the best of what’s put in front of me. This helps me everyday. I’m sure everyone has those days- too much to do and not enough time. When this happens to me, I try my hardest not to stress out. Instead of wasting my time worrying, I use it to accomplish as much as I can.

The classic miracle story is the perfect example of this. A small town boy with next to no money goes to the city. He gets a job, works hard, and makes connections. Using those connections to his advantage, he works up the pecking order to become a multi-millionaire CEO. The boy used what he had to make the most of his situation. In doing so, he obtained the life he wanted. He used the small amount of money he started out with to make more money. He used the connections he made to make more connections. Essentially, the boy maximized what he had. Had he sat at home complaining about his horrible life, well, he would still be complaining.

I believe the best way to live life is by making the best of it and every opportunity that presents itself. If not, life will be wasted in thinking about what could have been, instead of taking advantage of what is. “Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well.” This I believe.