I Believe in Having Fun at All Ages—Especially at Age 89

Milton - Fort Lee, New Jersey
Age Group: 65+

Having fun is not always easy. But I believe in trying my best, especially by acting like I’m 9 even though I’m 89. My favorite places for carrying on like a 9 year old are in the lobby and the elevator of my apartment building. The telephone works well too.

Fun in the Lobby.

After finishing my 30 minutes on the treadmill in the fitness room, I usually sashay to the lobby with a plastic cup of water in hand. I sit down on a bench and sip the water—very slowly. One day, a resident sat down next to me and asked me if I was drinking gin. “No,” I replied, “it’s too early in the day for gin.” She then said, “My husband and I have our drinks before dinner.” I said that my wife Harriette and I do likewise. Then I added with a straight face and a serious voice, “Would you like to know what my wife and I do after we finish our drinks?” With a startled look the woman said, “I don’t think I want to go there!” So I said, “Surprise, surprise—we fight!!” The woman laughed, the deskman laughed, and so did I.

Fun in the elevator.

1. As the croweded elevator car was going down, no one said a single word. No hellos, no how are you, nada, zippo, nothing. So, before we reached the lobby, I inched my way to the front in order to be the first one out. When the elevator doors opened, I faced the riders and said, “It was a pleasure talking to all of you.” Everyone laughed.

2. A woman, her son of 4 or 5, myself, and others entered the elevator from the lobby. The little tyke went right to the floor panel and pressed the button for his floor. Another rider asked him to please press number 14, which he did. Since I was near the panel, a rider asked me to press number 18, which I did. Then I said to the tyke’s mother, “Did you know your son and I have something in common?” “What do you mean?” she asked. With a sly smile I replied, “We both like to push people’s buttons.” Everyone laughed.

3. Two ladies entered the elevator with me. They greeted each other cordially by asking “how are you?” They each told the other, “okay.” Then I chimed in with, “How come you don’t ask me how I’m doing?” “Okay,” one said, “How are you?” With a twinkle in my eye and a devilish grin I said, “Don’t ask!” They both laughed.

4. Going down to the lobby in the elevator three residents I know were arguing vociferously about a presidential candidate. When the conversation got really heated, I said that I had the perfect solution: “Let’s all join hands and sing kumbaya.” Everyone laughed.

Fun on the telephone.

Not having heard from my friend Whitey for a while, I phoned him recently. Fortunately he answered, whereupon I said, “Whitey, I’m returning your call.” Whitey said, “I didn’t call you, Milton.” “You’re quite right,” I replied, “but you know me—I never like to wait till the last minute.” Whitey laughed.

So, you see, you can fun have acting like you are 9 when you are 89, at any time and without leaving home. When residents see me coming their way in our building, they often say, with a big grin on their faces, “Here comes trouble!” That makes me grin too, which is why I believe in having fun at age 89.