Deborah - Selah, Washington

This is what I’ve learned from a year of tragedy, sorrow, adversity, and struggle. I believe the biggest problem facing our country is how we’ve come to interpret the inalienable right to the pursuit of happiness and more specifically in our definition of happiness. I believe we have come to view happiness as having everything you want right when you want it and never having anything “bad” happen in your life. What I have learned is that that is the opposite of happiness. I now believe happiness is waiting and working and searching your soul for what you truly want and discovering it’s already right there all around you. I believe happiness is seeing the blessings and gifts that are all around you and appreciating them. I believe happiness is having tragedy and sorrow come through your life and wading through it and learning from it and loving each other more and better for it. I believe happiness is having hardship and adversity visited upon you and finding the strength within yourself to face up to it and deal with it. I believe happiness is facing the struggle that is a daily part of life and finding yourself up to the challenge. I believe happiness is learning that we need everyone around us to help us with that daily struggle and learning to graciously accept their help. I believe happiness is extending that help to others even when they aren’t able to ask you for it or appreciate that it’s been given. I believe happiness is appreciating the gifts you receive in the form of help and love and caring and support from those around you. I believe happiness is letting go of smallness and bitterness and greed and forgiving others and ourselves for being imperfect and human. None of this is new, I believe we all know this on some level, we have certainly all heard it before. But to learn it, feel it, live it, believe it, in a soul deep heartfelt way that reaches way beyond knowing it in your brain. This brings to life an indescribable joy, a sense of peace, a feeling of strength, courage, and energy. It allows you to love unconditionally to forgive quickly to move over under around or through obstacles that once seemed insurmountable. This I believe.