Angela - Bangor, Maine
Themes: courage, family

My parents always taught my sisters and me to do our best, but to take risks in what we do. One day, my mother took her own advice at 45 years old and opened her own medical practice. She subsequently closed it four years later. Because of her, I believe in courage.

My mother is a certified nurse practitioner with a master’s degree. She received this degree while raising my sisters and me from a young age to high school. She has always been a fantastic and smart woman to have as a role model, and frankly, I am lucky to have her in my life. When she and my dad came to my sisters and me with this idea, I knew that she would be just the woman to accomplish this dream of hers.

My family and I helped get my mom’s space clean and ready for her opening day, set for July 2002. I graduated from high school during the middle of her business venture in 2004 and went to school at Penn State University. Financial issues started to overtake and plague the business, and my mom made one of the most courageous decisions. Between my sophomore and junior years at college, my sisters and I helped to close her practice.

Parents always tell their children that they can do anything they set their mind to. I always believed my parents when they told me that. I look to them, especially my mother, for direction in life, and her choice to open her own business and provide medical care to our community and then make the decision to close it really showed me that I could really do anything I set my mind to in life. She later told me that it was the support system of her family that allowed her to come to the decision.

Life is full of unexpected twists and turn that can take a person many different places. My mother and my family took a great ride during the four years that her business was open. I learned about business tactics and even learned some medical terms and jargon, but I learned more about the character of the person I look to the most, my mother. Soon I’ll be the one searching for the courage to go out into the real world. I’m hoping I have the strength to be as brave as she was.