This I Believe…

Skylar - Heber City, Utah
Themes: golden rule

I believe that you should treat others as you wish to be treated. Many people have been treated badly for no reason at all. People think that they can treat others badly or just differently, and it just isn’t right! I think that people should be treated equally no matter what they look like, or whatever problems they may have. People don’t really think about what the other person is feeling when they say something hurtful to them. The bullies just think it will make them feel better about themselves.

I knew a girl named McKell who was handicapped once. She had a kid who made fun of her constantly. Morgan would make fun of her because she was in a wheel chair and he would call her a cripple. One day she got so fed up with it and said to him, “Treat others as you wish to be treated. I just know that one of these days you are going to get it!!” Well, it just so happened that a few weeks after she said that, Morgan got in a terrible car accident! And the worst was yet to come. He was paralyzed from the waist down and had to be in a wheelchair also. Talk about karma. After about a week of being in a wheelchair he noticed how hard it was to be a handicapped person. He went to apologize to McKell, and after a while they became friends. I have always believed in that saying, but right then and there, when I saw Morgan apologize, I understood what it really meant.

Sportsmanship can be a problem sometimes when it comes to treating people in a horrible and mean way. I am not a sore loser or winner, which is a really good thing, because if I were I don’t think I would have any fun. It is really just about the fun of the game and having fun with people. Competition can get the best of you sometimes and you have to be careful. People will not play fairly or respect you don’t in a game or whatever you are doing. I was playing in a basketball game one time and I accidentally knocked someone down when I was blocking for a teammate. I helped her up and said I was sorry for knocking her down, and she forgave me. I all just goes to show that good sportsmanship and treating people well will lead to good things.

My family is the best! We get along so well and I think it is actually because we go by this statement. “Treat others as you wish to be treated.” My sister, brother, and I get along so well that it keeps our family close. We never fight! When it comes to friends, it is the exact same thing. I never get in fights because we respect each other, and know that if I ever did something to hurt one of my family or friends, not only would I regret it but I would feel horrible also.

This saying is, I think, one of the best statements ever. So remember this the next time you say something hurt to somebody or think something bad about somebody. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!”