Kimberlee - Heber, Utah

As a member of the LDS Church, I am taught that families can be together forever—even after death. This thought comforts me often.

In one episode of MASH, Dan Wilcox and Thad Mumford say, “I don’t care how poor a man is; if he has a family, he’s rich.” I really like this quote. It’s saying that it doesn’t matter how much money you have or where you live or what you own. All that really matters is that you have a family. I’m so thankful that I have the family I have. Even though they upset me sometimes, I love them very much.

When I was about ten, my oldest and only sister, Liz, moved to Mesquite, Nevada. We all missed her very much and rarely saw her. Then a year later she married Pace Abbott. He lived in Mesquite along with his family. Another year later—I was twelve—my niece was born a day after my birthday. She was my birthday present. Her name’s Kairi Elizabeth Abbott. I’ve loved her since the first time I saw the nurse carrying her out of the Operation Room. She was wrapped up in a big blanket. She looked like a tiny doll. She was too perfect for words.

Another year later and my big brother (only brother), Brandon, met a really sweet girl named Brittany. I loved her from the first time I talked to her. She was married once and has an adorable little boy named Dylan. At first we called him Dewey, but that quickly changed to Bubba. He was born on November 22, three days after my birthday and two after Kairi’s.

On May 31, Brandon and Brittany got married. The wedding was just as pretty as Liz and Pace’s.

Now I only see Liz and Pace and Kairi once a month and Brandon, Brittany and Bubba once a week or so.

On November 1, my Papa (my grandpa) died. He was getting very sick and couldn’t remember us very well. He was just put in the Nursing Home a few days previous. I still miss Papa and I always will, but I know that I will see him again someday. He was a very amazing man.

Since then, I feel that my family and my extended family have grown much closer. We talk more and appreciate each other more and spend more time together. And when we see each other, we really make the most out of it.

Once while I was interviewing my mother for my English class, I asked her what she believed in. She said the very thing I’m writing on. Family. The last question was why she believed in it. Her response was, “It’s a little glimpse of heaven.” I’ll remember that for as long as I live. And it really is true for my family.

Not all families are great though. I’ve heard of horrible things happening to people from their parents, children, grandparents, aunts and uncles, siblings, and so on. It’s upsetting and rather unfortunate. I’m so grateful for the family I have. That they are so understanding and they love me and help me through the hard times of life.

When I grow up, I want to get married to a man that loves me and I want to have a family of my own.

I believe in family. This I believe.