Keefer - Heber City, Utah

Have you ever felt unloved or hated? I believe that everyone should have a place to go to, a family. My mother always tells me, “friends fade but family is forever.” I really believe that family is one of the most important parts of my life. I have many great memories with my family. One sticks out in my mind.

My family and I went to Colorado Springs in Colorado. I stumbled into a murky, cold cave; I could hear the trickles of water somewhere is the distance. We all held old lanterns which were flickering barely staying lit. We were all shivering from the icy draft circulating in the cave. Our tour guide looking newly employed, was pretty nervous and timid as she lead us in the tour. Our tour had about fifteen people in it; my family was in the very back. I felt a breeze, and I whipped around to tell my mom if she felt it, but no one was there. I stood there, my whole family was gone in a matter of seconds. I started to be filled with remorse, I whipped around and yelled to hold up the tour. I then went back probably back about twenty feet and saw my family huddled together in the cave. I realized how important my family was to me. It was a life changing experience, my family all thanked me for helping them.

In elementary school I met a boy that was really nice and quiet. We became really good friends and he invited me over for a sleep over. We were sitting in his bedroom, playing the newest edition of Zelda. I heard a yell from up stairs, I asked them what that sound was. He never told me what it was but I figured out it was his parents. Over the years, he began to become really mean and nasty, I thought he just chose that life style. Then, I realized that his family was treating him badly and he grew up to be just like them. I felt remorse for him, a family has I direct influence on their children. I am thankful for my family everyday.

My last story is about the effects of a good family, my family is a great example of a good family. I am fifteen years old, and my family has been everything but unfair. Today, not to brag but I have a 4.0 and I am involved in two different sports. Having a good family can either make or break a child’s life. That is what I believe.