Zach - Heber City, Utah
Themes: fear

Zach McD

“This I Believe” Essay

12/13/07

Fear is Conquerable

I believe that we all have fears but they all can be conquered. I say this because of actions that I have witnessed in both other people and in myself. Everyone has fears no matter who you may be. Sooner or later every one will have to face them.

As most people know me by the quite kid or something else degrading like that. Oh well I have gotten use to it sense I have been quiet my whole life. I always use to and still ask, why do I have this fear of speaking? I guess that is how god wanted me to be or what he wanted me to overcome.

At the start of my second term in ninth grade in my ag-mechanics class we were all asked or in other words told to memorize the FFA Creed. When I heard this disastrous news I think my heart dropped to my toes. Just not doing the memorization but the added news that we would have to give it in front of the class!

Knowing me I procrastinated until it was due in five days. I started to memorize it day and night until the day it was due. I mastered it of course but I did not master speaking in front of the whole class.

But when class started we all got the great news that we could write the Creed instead of going up in front of the class and saying it. I was so relived. But there was other news too. Who ever said the FFA Creed the best would get $25. So I stood up and went up to the front of the class room and said the FFA Creed. It almost killed me but I did it. Saying it perfectly I was awarded the $25 and knowing that I got up and conquered my fear for a bit.

Doing this was hard but in the end it was worth it. I believe that fears are just another obstacle in life to get past.