ONE NATION UNDER GOD

Tyson - Midway, Utah

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United Sates of America, and to the republic for which it stands ‘ONE NATION UNDER GOD’ indivisible with liberty and justice for all. All of you know what this is. It is the pledge of allegiance of the United States. To many people it is just another thing that you say before a meeting or what you say before school. But to me it is what our country is. I believe that we are ‘one nation under God’.

I had not really given the allegiance much thought until a couple of years ago. I came home form school and started watching the four o clock news. The smell of roast beef fluttered through the room and the soft sofa began to suck me into a soft slumber, until I heard what the reporter on TV had to say. He began the news with a breaking story of an instance in which a person wanted the words ‘one nation under god’ taken out of the pledge. This news got me thinking of how important those words one nation under god really are in the pledge. It got me thinking of how god loved us so much that he sent his only begotten son to atone for our sins, and that rejecting him is a huge insult to him. By rejecting god it is like buying a really expensive gift and giving it to somebody you really love and having them smashing it and walking away. Imagine the hurt you would feel inside, and multiply that by ten fold that is what god would feel like if you deny him. Benjamin Franklin once said “God governs in the affairs of all men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, sir, in the sacred writings, that “except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.” This to me means that there is no point in building an empire if those in it are going to deny god because the building of it would be worthless. In D&C Section 29 is says: “And again, verily, verily, I say unto you that when the thousand years are ended, and men again begin to deny their God, then will I spare the earth but for a little season.” God will not tolerate a nation which is denying him and will only let it last a short while as soon as it does. I believe that god created all things and it sickens me that there are people all over the country trying to make everything that reminds us of god go away, people who are trying to have the crosses taken down where fallen highway patrolmen have died, and trying to make the words in god we trust taken off of our coinage. The new George Washington golden dollar reminds me of how close our nation is to denying god because these very words are no longer etched directly on the front of the coin but hidden along its edge. This makes me angry because I believe ‘IN GOD WE TRUST’ should be the largest writing on the coin. I believe that we are one nation under god and we should stand together as a nation ‘UNDER GOD’ fighting for liberty and justice for all.