Paul - Midway, Utah

Paul M

“This I Believe” Essay

December 13, 2007

Why do snowboarders and skiers always argue? It’s called quarrel, and this I believe. For instance, while at Park City Mountain Resort, I saw a skier and a snowboarder crash. Later that evening I saw the same skier saying, “The snowboarder ran right into me man.” While on the last lift for the last run, I saw the snowboarder. He was talking about the skier that pierced his board. This itself is quarrel. Quarrel shows somebody’s personality. With-out quarrel, some people say we wouldn’t have a government. Others say it ruins relationships, or even makes them better. Everybody has their own opinions about quarrel, but what does it really mean? The dictionary says, “ An unfriendly or angry disagreement; a cause for dispute. To find vault with.” To me though, quarrel isn’t just an argument, it’s a belief that somebody may have. It might be something somebody wants to dispute about. What ever it is, this I believe. People say this is what ruined the world, but to me, it is what made the world a better place. Everybody quarrels, at all times, and all places. They do it in sports, in wiring, in teaching, and in the government. It goes on everywhere. It’s happened in the past, it’s happening in the present, and I’m pretty sure it’s going to happen in the future. If you really think about it, quarrel is really teaching others. No matter what you do in the future, even if it’s sports, government, home business, teaching, city worker, whatever, it will most likely have quarrel. No-body got famous by avoiding quarrel, but fighting through it. This I believe. Quarrel builds strength, opinion, social skills. These skills are good because to be successful in life, you have to have them. I believe all the skills you need comes form quarreling with others, or in your own mind. Quarrel builds leaders, teachers, and professionals. The foundation of this country and others as well, were built on quarrel. This I Believe. A student says that quarrel is, “A fight between two or more people. The fight is usually about what they believe.” A teacher says that quarrel is, “ A large or small dispute between two people, over something they believe is true.” These to me are both true, and hopefully they are to you, because this i believe.