Lindsey - Heber, Utah

Lindsey Berg

This I Believe Essay

Go Ahead- Color Outside the Lines

When I started writing this paper, I realized that I believe in many different things. I believe in standing up for yourself. I believe blonds are just as smart as brunettes. I believe that money doesn’t always bring happiness. I believe the Colts are better than the Patriots. However, the thing I believe in most is simple: I believe in coloring outside the lines.

What do I mean by this? To say it in a simpler, and less creative way, I believe in being unique. Think about it for a minute. Seems pretty obvious doesn’t it? Almost everyone knows that if we were all exactly the same, the world would be pretty boring. Yet, everyone still tries to be like others. Guys spend their time working out and lifting weights, because they want to be as big as ‘that guy’. Girls count calories and spend tons of money on makeup, because they want to be as pretty as ‘that girl’. I think that if we could all just accept ourselves and others as we are, everyone would get along better, be happier, and the world would generally just be a better place. Not every girl can look like a model, and not every guy can look like a body builder, yet almost everyone still feels like they need to.

I have a friend, her name is Rachel. Rachel is one of the most unique people I know. While all the other girls at school wear Abercrombie or American Eagle clothes, Rachel shows up wearing a Yu-gi-oh t-shirt. Rachel’s dream is to someday go to school at Hogwarts, and be in the Gryffindor house, because thats who she is. Even though she isn’t like everyone else, Rachel is totally happy with who she is.

One way to help encourage people to be individual is to accept others. We hate it when other people judge us, yet we constantly judge others. We should try and get to know someone, instead of judging someone by their looks. If everyone was more accepting of those who are different than them, then people would be more willing to be unique, instead of just following the crowd. After all, wouldn’t you rather have a few friends who are all different and unique, instead of many who are all the exact same? I know I would.

So go ahead, color outside the lines. I, for one, will not judge you.