Justyne - Midway, Utah

Justyne Willets

“This I Believe” Essay

12/14/07

The Way of Words

One word can change who we are, how we act, and what we do. One word can be a problem as it’s repeated to others and could lift and improve a person. One word can save or destroy a life. One word is powerful. I believe in the power of words.

Have you ever been hurt by something someone said or wrote? I have and it changed my view of the person who wrote it. I was sitting in my seat, taking a spelling test along with the rest of the class, when my teacher hands me a note he found on the floor. I read it and was so shocked that I forgot we were taking a test. This note said some mean things about me and it was hard to believe because it had been written by someone who I thought was my friend. That note changed how I felt about that person.

Words aren’t all bad. Remember when someone thanked you or said,”good job” to you? How did you feel? I know that I feel better when someone says something nice to me. Gratitude is a great example of the power of words. If you say thank you or give someone a compliment, it will change that person’s day for the better.

Words are like building blocks. They’ll build up until a person can’t take it anymore. It’s alright not saying something when you have nothing to say but ignoring someone is rude. This is the type of silence that will add to the tower that can be built from words. I know a story that shows how words can have a positive or a negative influence. It’s about a boy who saw a girl cleaning out her locker. As he walked past her, he decided to stop and talk to her. When this girl had finished cleaning out her locker, he walked her to the door and held it open for her. Years later, he met this girl again and she thanked him for talking to her that day. She said,”The reason I was cleaning out my locker was because I was going to commit suicide. Nobody ever noticed me and I thought I was worthless, but because of you I realized my life is worth something.” He couldn’t believe that by just stopping and saying something, he saved that girl’s life.

What else can I say? Is there a better example of the power of words? Remember, one word is all it takes. You can change someone’s life for the better. I believe in the power of words.