Angelica - Heber City, Utah
Themes: humanism

A little boy, only seven years old. Walking around the trash filled streets of Kenya, Africa, alone and barefoot. He hasn’t eaten in almost two days. Since his parents died, he has been relying on the kindness of others. Sometimes the result isn’t what he expects. As his dirty feet slide across the cracked sidewalk he thinks about the feast that he wants to be waiting for him at “home”. I believe world hunger can be stopped. I believe people should do everything they can to help the less fortunate. I believe we have the power to change the outcome of children’s lives everywhere.

More than 1/3 of the worlds population lives in what we call poverty. They live on less than two dollars a day. These people don’t have enough food or enough clean water. Kids grow up, being used to empty stomaches and sickness and starvation in almost every country in the world. We have the power to help them and yet we do not do enough. Every person who has extra (food, clothes, money), or even just enough for them to get buy, has the opportunity to help a hungry child somewhere. Even a dollar could help. If they are living on two dollars a day, an extra dollar would contribute a lot. Next time you eat a breakfast or a lunch, think about how much that meal would mean to a child who hasn’t eaten in days.

World hunger is a huge problem in todays’ society. Part of the problem is that people aren’t willing to help. Programs come on t.v. every day, asking for help for a starving child. How many people, after watching this, go pick up the phone and make a donation? I think that if there are things we can do to help, it shouldn’t be an issue today. We CAN help prevent it but we don’t. Hunger is one of the biggest problems today and we need to recognize it. I believe a single person could help another without any inconvenience or trouble. I believe we should help.

This I Believe.