Launa - Heber City, Utah
Themes: gratitude

I Believe in Yellow!!

What do you think of when you think of the color yellow? The sun? Smiley faces? When I think of the color yellow I think of living, laughing, loving, and never regretting. Most would ask, “How does the color yellow remind you of all that?” Well the reason is because yellow was my big brother Jeffrey’s favorite color. I didn’t know him well because he died when he was very young but I have heard many stories about him and in my opinion he represents those four things very well.

Jeffrey was always a very happy little boy he smiled and laughed a lot and could make almost anyone else giggle. Through the stories I have heard I decided that laughter is a very important part of life and without it life would be almost pointless. When I die I want to be remembered as the girl who always smiled and laughed even when her heart was broken and the girl who could always brighten your day even if she couldn’t brighten her own. I believe laughing helps you through all the hard times. It is the best medicine. No matter what happens or what goes wrong finding something to laugh about always helps me through it.

Which brings me to regrets, there is a famous quote I once read, I am not sure who said it but I know I liked it. It went like this “never regret anything because at one time it was all you ever wanted.” I believe that saying to be very true, because if you didn’t want it you wouldn’t have done it, whether you try to deny it or not its the truth. Jeffery reminds me to never regret anything because he died in a car accident on the family’s way home from a fun and joyful camping trip. I used to wonder if my dad regretted ever leaving the house to go on that trip. So one day I built up the courage and asked him. I will never forget his answer, he said “No, I believe that Jeffery was on a mission and that it was his time to go and I know everything happens for a reason.” When he said this it hit me, if everything happens for a reason then there is no point it wishing it didn’t happen or wanting to take it back because in the end it has a purpose. One of my favorite songs is called “The Dance” it is by Garth Brooks and in it there is a line that says “I could have missed the pain but I’d a had to miss the dance.” I think that is so true, you can regret what you did because of how it hurts now but you would have to miss all the memories and fun that became of it if you tried taking it back.

The next thing I learned from Jeffrey was too love. He loved everyone no matter what they looked like, where they were from, where they were going, or why they were here, he still loved them. I want to be like him, I want to be able to love everyone, even those that have hurt me. I think that loving those that have hurt you is one of the hardest things to do but it is my goal in life. I have learned not to be afraid to love just because you have been hurt, not everyone will hurt you. I also think that life would also be pointless without loving. It is one of the greatest gifts in this world and I believe that with my whole heart.

The last thing Jeffrey has taught me was to live, and I don’t mean just survive I mean live life to its fullest. Life is short and you never get a second chance so don’t waste time and make every second count. You never know when its going to be your last chance to say or do something for someone, for all you know they could be gone the minute you walk away. So be sure to let the ones you love know just how much they mean to you and don’t procrastinate, if there is something you want to do or accomplish the sooner the better because you never know if the opportunity your getting is a now or never deal. I mean what if tomorrow never comes? Then you lost your chance. My older brothers and my daddy had no clue that day would be their last day with Jeffrey and just like that he was gone. From that I know I will show and tell those I love exactly what they mean to me every chance I get.

From the lessons I have learned from Jeffrey I now know I will never look back, I will laugh louder, hug longer, smile bigger, love more, and live life like every second is my last one, because I believe in the color yellow and in that I will always believe.