Rachel - Heber City, Utah

Dried Fruit

I believe in getting dried fruit in a old cleaned out peanut butter jar with a five dollar check taped around it once a year. I expect this gift every year on my birthday from my grandma. This gift might be a small non-valuable gift in your eyes but in mine it is the perfect gift. If I every receive anything else of nicer or of higher quality I wouldn’t want. Because I expected something else I looked forward to something else.

We all set expectations for people, things, and the future. As I’m growing people that don’t really know me set expectations for me to be the cool peppy cheerleader, the stubborn cheerleader, and the smart joke who does every sport. You could say that I’ve reached all these expectations in my own weird way. I’m on the basketball team, the soccer team and I run track. I swim in P.E. and I’m pretty stubborn when it comes to doing it. I cheer but in the stands and I sometimes find myself cheering for the opposing team. Getting down to it I’ve only achieved the playing sports part and I play sports because there fun and I like doing it not because of expectations. The other expectations where set for me when my sisters went through the same school that I’m going through now.

One of my sisters is one of the prettiest people you’ll ever see she is cool peppy and the cheer captain. We sort look alike and sometimes act alike so I guess those expectations where set on anything. But I’m not all that cool, I can’t do the splits if my life depended on it and you won’t usually find me being all that peppy.

My other sister was the class president her freshmen and sophomore year, she was a terrific swimmer, she sort of kept to herself and was a bit stubborn. I’ve never been in student government, I only swim in P.E. class and I still turn blue and my lip quivers while doing it. I’m not stubborn I’m outgoing and say what’s on my mind.

These expectations where set for me through people who don’t really know me. I have to admit I like seeing people’s reaction when telling them I do none of those things. But I play sports, paint, collect random posters and glass jars. I spend my Friday and Saturday nights home with my parent’s making soup and watching old movies. These are the things that I like to do. People say I do all these weird things for attention because I can’t reach the rest of the expectations that where set for me. But this really me and what I’m about. I figured out if I keep being myself somewhere down the road people that really know will want me to act and be myself. Defying me as who I am and What I believe in. As for me and my own expectations I expect to get dried fruit in a old cleaned out peanut butter jar with a five dollar check taped around it once a year.