Jacob - Winfield, Illinois

I Believe in Dogs

Throughout my life I have been and will be a dog person. I grew up with my dog Dino and now Rocky. Sure, I have a cat but there are qualities about a dog that cannot be mirrored in a cat. Qualities that people in the world lack, qualities that I believe in.

My dog knows when he does wrong and when he knows, so do I. He doesn’t tell me, he shows me. His body language shows his honesty. His ears get low, his tail drops, and his head lowers looking at the ground. He will even try to show he’s sorry by rubbing against you. He knows he has done something wrong and he shows that. Honesty is a important characteristic in people.

Dogs have been known to be man’s best friend. Their loyalty shines above the other characteristics that they have. My dog is no different. I, as an owner, cannot do anything wrong. If I step on his tail or accidentally hit him in the face when I am playing with my soccer ball, he will react, but not the reaction that people would assume to see. Instead of getting angry he gets up, starts howling at me, and starts licking me. Not only will he not get angry when I do something like that, but he will fight for me. He hasn’t actually attacked someone for me, but I can tell. If my brother and I are fighting, he will grab my brother’s leg with his paw and try to break us up. That’s a quality that is hard to find in people, but it is something that I believe in.

Dogs have the ability to help people. Dino played a big part in my life. We had Dino until I was about eight years old. My mom found him just walking around in the hallways of the school that she taught at. My mom brought him home and convinced my dad to keep him. He was there when I was born and he was there when I needed him. My dog would never leave my side when I was about six months old. When I would try to stand up he would be there. He would let me grab onto his jaw and pull myself up. Without my dog my childhood life would be a lot harder.

A dog’s ability to love is worth believing in. My dog will never shy away from a good hug or a nice pat on the head. He shows his love when we come home everyday from school. He will jump all over us and start licking us. He starts running all over the house and you know that he is glad that you’re home.

Friends are there for a reason and when I choose mine, I look for the same qualities that I see in my dog. Thanks to Rocky and Dino I see the honesty and love in my friends. I can see the similarities between my friends and my dog. The same qualities that I believe in.