I Believe in Always Answering the Phone

Sam - wheaton, Illinois
Themes: death

This belief came to me over one year ago on a brisk forty-degree day in March. I was on my way to a basketball court with some of my friends. We were about to participate in an intense game of three on three basketball. When my phone rang, I jogged over to the sideline to pick it up. I flipped it open, and it read “Kevin”. I looked at the name for a long time and then finally decided to put it down and go back to basketball because we had even teams. What I didn’t know was that that would have been the last chance for me to speak to him.

The next day in school I was walking to my eighth period class alone because Kevin didn’t come to school. On the walk home my phone started to vibrate, and it was saying that I had a message. I listened to the message. It was my mom saying that Kevin was at the hospital in cardiac arrest. I called a few of my friends, and we were off to the hospital. As we got there I saw people sitting in a room with tears streaming down their face. Then Kevin’s mom walked into the room and told us what had happened earlier that day and how he would not take his medicine for his Addison Disease. She then told us that he was in a coma and that he might not come out.

After about twenty minutes of waiting around the nurse came in and told us that we could go see Kevin, even though he could not see us, they told us that he could hear us. I talked to him for a while and told him that I would see him tomorrow.

I did not go to school the next day but instead waited for a ride to the hospital where I could wait with the family. At about 2:30 there were kids from our grade flowing in to give support. When it got to 3 o’clock there were about twenty-five of us sitting on the floor praying and crying for our friend. By the end of the night we were told that he would not make it through the night. I got to say good-bye to my friend for one last time before he died.

I thought about it hard that night when I went home, about how I wished I could have answered the phone and hung out with him for one last time. Instead, I put the phone down and kept shooting hoops. Up to this day I answer my phone for everyone that calls because I now realize that life is short, and you can pass away without warning at any time. This I believe.