Tyler - Winfield, Illinois

I believe in not giving anyone a dead fish.

At an early age my father taught me to give a good firm handshake. He would tell me, “Son, you can tell a lot about a man by his handshake. Make sure to always give a stiff, firm handshake to any man you meet. Be the one to introduce your self and engage conversation. You can never meet too many people.”

Ever since then I have always tried my best to give anyone I meet a firm handshake. I think that by doing this it shows a lot about who I am and what I stand for. I make sure that I am always the one to introduce myself and start up conversation.

By giving someone a strong, firm handshake I feel you are telling them a lot about who you are. Setting a good first impression on someone is critical. A tight, firm grip shows that they are a very bold person with strong beliefs, who is not afraid to stand up for what they believe in. A weak, dead fish grip comes off that they are weak minded, conforming and shy.

Meeting new people is a great way to learn new things. Just by talking to someone for a few moments, you can learn a lot about them. By meeting new people I feel that you open new things up for your self. The world of today is all about who you know and the connections you have. There have been jobs and many other opportunities that I have brought onto myself, just by introducing myself to new people. Being social is crucial to being successful in life.

My father taught me a much larger lesson than just to give someone a firm handshake. I have carried this advice with me day in and day out. I always make an attempt to meet as many new people as possible. In my opinion, you can never meet too many people. The more people that I meet, the more doors I open for myself. No one wants a dead fish, so remember to give a good firm handshake.