Adam - Wheaton, Illinois
Themes: illness

An End to AIDS

I believe AIDS will be cured.

I believe that someday, someone will discover more than just what can stop the HIV retrovirus from reproducing, but find a way to end it, and the AIDS epidemic. I believe the fourteen thousand new infections that occur every day will decrease due to a rising number of AIDS prevention centers; that the twenty-five or so million dead will no longer be added to. I believe that someday, people will care enough to see past just a number. That people will care enough to do something. If they could just travel to a third world country and see for themselves, I think things would be different. If the rest of the world could understand how big of a problem AIDS is, and could come together, it could end. I believe it will.

I believe someone who had only been given a few weeks to live will wake up with the rest of their lives ahead of them. I think that we as a generation can make that happen.

One day, we will see Africa with its ecstatic orphans, and clean drinking water for its countries. The infants whose HIV infected mothers couldn’t get medication, and who were born infected, won’t have to live weakly for a few months before passing on, but will grow into strong people, another generation capable of loving each other, leading countries, and changing the world.

I believe that one day, I will be able to turn on the television or read the newspaper and say that the world is good. Instead of seeing bodies carried away from a bloody car bomb scene, or devastated countries ravaged by famine and corrupt governments, I will see leaders in agreement, peace treaties being signed, and people being cured of hopeless diseases. I believe that people will finally start to see that religions and ideas and beliefs are individual things, and stop forcing them on each other with violence. I believe this because I have to. When you see millions of people at a time being killed off, an entire continent dying, what can you believe?

I have to believe that there is enough love in the world to stop this disease. A country as powerful as America has the wealth to provide clean drinking water and medication for entire countries. I have to believe there will be enough love in the world and in our country to end sickness and at least make living conditions decent for all people. I must believe that there is something better for this world then a huge separation of luxury and starvation. If we start to lose that insight, then we start to lose our compassion. And that is really all we have.