I Believe in Choices

Steve - Winfield, Illinois

I believe that the choices we make today will shape the world we’ll live in tomorrow. Everyday we are faced with choices that we must make. Sometimes it is very easy for us to decide what we want, but that is not always true. Every choice no matter how unimportant it may seem changes our future.

Now this may seem crazy until you start to think it through in different scenarios. It’s the first day of high school and the teacher tells the class to pick their own seats. So you choose to try and get a seat in the back of the room. A kid who went to the other middle school in town has the same idea and makes his way to the back of the room as well. Over the course of the semester you start to build a relationship with someone you never knew and this person becomes one of your friends. Throughout high school the two of you become better friends and eventually go to college together all because of the choice you both made to sit in the back of the room.

We are always making choices like this, choices that can spark someone’s interest in you that you may not realize. One day you may decide to wear a yellow shirt you’ve never worn before instead of a green one. A person may notice your yellow shirt and say something, which may start a conversation that can lead to a life-long friendship or just a kind casual compliment. If you had chosen the green shirt instead of the yellow one this person may never have noticed it and then wouldn’t have said anything to you. Things in life happen with so little warning you have to take risks or do things out of the ordinary to understand what is happening.

It’s these unexpected things that make our lives exciting. If you always make the same boring choices life would seem dull. So I say go out there, make choices that you normally wouldn’t expect yourself to make. You never know, you might like what happens or the chose you made. Your new decision may change you as a person. Make the decision that is best for you and not others because in the end the only person you have to please is yourself. If you make the right choices your life is sure to be exciting and unpredictable. I believe the choices we make today will shape the world we’ll live in tomorrow.