Claudia - Moultrie, Georgia

What’s in the word neuter that frightens so many pet owners? Is it the thought of taking that privilege away from something that can not object? Or do they put themselves in their pets’ position? Whichever the reason, pets need to be neutered not only to reduce the over population of cats and dogs, but also to prevent diseases and cancers that occur in the uterus and prostate.

Before I entered my veterinarian internship I was also against neutering. I always thought that if I got my cat neutered he’d become lazy and lose the jump in his step, and it’s true, it will happen. However that isn’t an issue anymore. There is a new thing called Neuticles, which are basically plastic testicles. This device gives him back the energy that his real testicles would have provided but still prevents him from getting a female pregnant and it prevents prostate cancer.

Everyone loves kittens and puppies, but how many is the limit? The truth is that we have an over population of cats and dogs. Of course everything would be fine if they all had homes. Unfortunately there are more stray cats and dogs than there are pet cats and dogs. This is caused by unneutered pets. Owners become overwhelmed with their pets’ babies and eventually let them leave or wonder out into the street in hopes that someone will adopt them. Most of them don’t get adopted and some die. Yet there is still an over population.

In my time at the veterinarian’s office I have seen many pets come in with problems dealing with their reproductive organs. Females with their uterus inflamed so much that it’s pushing her stomach up and males yelping in pain from their prostate. Most people, even after the doctor suggest getting the pet neutered or spayed, still refuse to do it. When there are issues like theses affecting their pet I fail to see any reason why the owner would object to a neuter and let their pet keep suffering.

When you think about neutering a human it seems stupid. But humans don’t have an over population and if pain does start they’ll probably go to the doctor in time to treat it. But a dog or cat wont, the owner my not even realize anything is wrong until it may be too late, so it’s senseless to put ones self in an pets’ position. Why take the risk of uterus or prostate cancer? Why put them through that pain? Save your loved pet, your friend, from so much unneeded pain. Do what I did, neuter your pets.