Benjamin - KnottsIsland NC, North Carolina
Themes: nature

This, I believe

Two years ago, on a cold winter night, my mind exploded.

Stars above me, billowing clouds matched smoke from my cigarette.

It hit me ; a hurricane, the realization of a wondrous process momentarily blinding me. I was a child again… all new information.

I looked around, a miracle itself , and took in the glory and magnificence surrounding me. Majesty filled me, wonder overtook me, curiosity bit with more teeth than the carnivores wolf that plagued my thoughts. If knowledge was a meat or food, the wolf of my curiosity hasn’t stopped eating in 2 years.

In that moment, I fed the beast.

This new knowledge and mental stimulation sedated the hungry wolf… But it was only for that moment.

Every day, from that cold winter night untill now, I have been ever grateful for everyday that I am alive. I have been so grateful that I can walk, breathe, hear, smell, taste… I have been grateful every time I roll off my couch in the morning, smiling, and ever grateful for my body still functioning and my mind still whirling. I have been grateful to drink coffee, smoke a cigarette… Hell, I’m grateful I have the ability to even recognize a cup of coffee, let alone prepare it, sweeten it and finally drink it.

All things, no matter the size or purpose, are beautiful in my eyes. All the small things and evil things… If you look close enough, you will see the grace in every single one of them.

This, I believe. With every drop of blood in my veins and every fiber of my skin, I believe that life itself is the greatest gift you can have. I believe, with all that I am and everything I am to become, that you cannot replace such beauty, such rarity… It is my belief that this marvelous and mysterious gift has a purpose, and that I have found it. Every piece of me lives by this belief, would die for this belief and is guided in every way by this belief.

This, I believe.

Since that cold winter night two years ago, I have realized the grace and wonder in all things under the sun. I have realized that I only get one chance with this…and that I have to live making the best of it.

It changed me.

I believe with all of my heart and soul that the gift of life is not to be taken for granted or wasted. I believe with both my body and mind that there are so many wonderful things all around us. Every breath I take, every choice I make, is saturated with my paramount belief that everything around me is perfect. I, Benjamin Foresman, believe that I would die for the greater of humanity.

This, readers, I believe.

-Ben Foresman.