Shelby - Heber, Utah

Shelby H

6th period

December 14, 2007

Traditions

Do you have any traditions in your family? Just think of things your family does together everyday. Traditions can be big or small.

My family has many, many traditions! We have Christmas traditions, New Year’s traditions, Easter traditions, 4th of July traditions, and even traditions that we do once a week.

One huge tradition in my family is in the first part of December. At the beginning of December all the grandkids on my mom’s side of the family make themselves out of clay to hang on the Christmas tree like ornaments. My grandma either asks each child what they want to be made doing or she thinks of something that they have accomplished that year. When we’re old enough we’re allowed to make our own ornaments so since I made cheer this year I made myself as a cheerleader. Once each ornament is completed, it is painted and my grandma hangs it on the tree for everyone to look at.

I believe this is a very special and important tradition in my family. Making these ornaments is special because when I grown up I’ll be able to look at them on the tree and remember something I accomplished when I was young. I also will be able to continue this tradition with my family and kids!

Another special but smaller tradition my family has is getting together once a week for Saturday night steak barbecues or Sunday dinners. Each week, on either Saturday or Sunday, my mom’s side of the family comes to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for steak barbecues. We play games together, watch movies, talk about what’s going on in our lives, and laugh a lot. The guys usually watch a sports game on TV while the women talk and watch the kids play. My family is also Italian and very loud so that usually makes our family gatherings even more entertaining! Some of you reading this might ask how we can stand to be with each other that often. Well my grandma has this saying in her kitchen that says, “The family that eats together, stays together.” I truly believe this quote and I think we must just be immune to each other! I love being able to see my aunts, uncles, cousins, and Grandma and Grandpa every week. I love talking to them about what’s going on in my life! This tradition has been in my family ever since I could remember, and I don’t think it will ever stop being a tradition for us!

As you can tell, I believe in traditions. I believe they bring families closer and keep them together. We all need traditions in our lives. This I believe.