Joseph - Heber, Utah

Joe J

“This I Believe” Essay

Finding Answers

Have you ever had a huge question that you just couldn’t find the answer to? A question with an answer that could change your life? My name is Joe J. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and I had such a question. I would like to talk about my religion. I’ll start by telling about myself. I live in Heber City, Utah. I play the clarinet and have been a member of the LDS church all my life.

Now, on to my beliefs. I not only believe but know that the LDS church is true. I know that The Book of Mormon is true. I also know that

The Bible is true. I know that one spring day in eighteen-twenty, a fourteen year boy named Joseph Smith went into the woods to pray. While praying he was seized upon by the the devil. while in this despair he thought he was going to die, but he continued praying. He then saw a pillar of light, directly above his head. in that light, he saw two people who identified themselves as God and His son.

Some of you might be wondering how I know all of this. Some may even think I’m crazy. If I didn’t experience what I did I would think I was crazy, too. To those of you who are thinking this, let me explain how I received this information.

It all started with a question. My family had always supported the LDS church, and sometimes I wondered, why? My older brother told me to read The Book of Mormon and pray to know if it is true. I tried, but I must admit that I had trouble getting halfway through, so I decided to try something else.

There is a book in the back of most copies of The Book of Mormon called The Doctrine and Covenants. At the end of that book is another called Joseph Smith History. This was much shorter than The Book of Mormon, so I read it. Then I prayed about it, with a firm desire to know the truth. When I closed my prayer, I realized I was crying. I felt an overwhelming feeling of peace and I knew it was true.

If you still think I’m crazy, try what I tried. If you have any other important questions try the same thing. If you really want to know you will get your answer.