Meagan Marie - Heber, Utah

Meagan Marie L

“This I Believe” Essay

December 14th, 2007

Miracles Happen

Do you believe in miracles? I can say that I do. I have never had any real personal experiences dealing with this, but I have had a close friend that showed me what miracles really are about. Miracles are an everyday occurrence. Some are large and some are small, and some just go unnoticed. If we didn’t have miracles, what would we have to look forward to in life?

Just recently my friend Natalie’s mom had a massive stroke. She had been diagnosed with M.S. just three years before, and she really hadn’t been doing too well. She was going downhill fast. She had to visit the doctors on a regular basis. She had attended one of her appointments and they found a hole in her heart. They took her in for surgery soon after that and fixed it. She was sent home to recover and that is when she had her stroke. While in the hospital after having it she couldn’t breath on her own and was put on life support. The doctors told Natalie’s family that she was most likely not going to make it. After being on life support for four days the family decided to take her off and see if she would breath on her own. Again the doctors told her that there wasn’t a very good chance for her to survive. Well, sure enough she began breathing on her own. She had to learn to walk, talk, and do everything a human does again, but at least she was alive.

I know this was a miracle and Natalie and her family were very blessed through these hard times. It would have been extremely hard for everyone that knew her if she hadn’t had made it. Since all this has happened her mom has no symptoms of M.S. anymore and is as normal as can be.

I know that miracles like this don’t happen very often but it does come to show that whoever or whatever is controlling this world works in marvelous and wondrous ways. I love that I have had the opportunity to witness such a miracle, and it has shown me that the unthinkable can happen.