Emily - Heber, Utah

Changing the World One Smile at a Time

Anybody can change the world by laughing or smiling. No one in the world is the same. We are all different and have different interests. Not everyone is always happy, outgoing and excited about random stupid little things. Me on the other hand, I love random things. I laugh about almost everything. And, I think each time I laugh I become happier.

I have heard of many stories of people that have been having a bad day or just have troubles in their life. When someone smiles at them or tells them something to make them laugh it sometimes can make them have a new insight on something, making them a much happier person.

One day I was in school, and it was just one of those days where nothing was going right. My hair was not working, I was really tired, and just didn’t want to be there! The day went on and still it was not going so good. Well, after school my mom picked me up and she needed to go to the grocery store, so off we went.

We got to the store and were walking around when I saw a little old lady just standing there. She didn’t look like she really had much. Her clothes were kind of torn and tattered and her jeans had holes in them. But, she just stood there. It almost seemed if she was just sitting there staring at everyone that walked by. Every person that walked past her she would smile, wave, and say hello to them. So, we passed by her, and she did the same thing for us. As we kept shopping, I realized how cool it was that this lady that didn’t have very much and looked like she could use a little bit of help herself was so kind to say hello and smile to all of these people that she didn’t even know. That day she made me realize that just a smile, a wave, or a simple hello can change how someone feels.

So I try to smile at everyone I see to make them feel better, or even just say something to make them laugh and help them have a better day. And everyone should have a goal to make someone else have a better day!