Daniel - Wheaton, Illinois

I believe in losing in all forms. It is a simple statement that can bring anger and tears, yet, overcoming it can lead to excellence.

I play basketball for the Wheaton North team. Throughout the past two years, we have had to deal with many trials. Whether it was arguments after bad practices and games, or letting a regional finals game slip through our fingers in the final minutes, during these situations we were forced to overcome in order to achieve greatness. The thing that I remember about that season wasn’t just the wins or the losses. I remember what our coach told us after one of our losses; “What defines a team isn’t the number of wins and losses. They are defined by how they come out after a loss. So, you can either sit around feeling sorry for yourselves, or you can get right back in the gym and work the hardest you possibly can.”

Throughout life, I’m constantly faced with hardships, no matter what my situation is; I’m always faced with a complicated circumstance. Whenever I encounter a difficult situation, I can make two choices. I can sit around and worry about it feeling sorry for myself, or I can take the situation head on and deal with it.

For the better part of the seventeen years I have spent on this earth, I was one of those people that, when forced with a difficult situation, would go around feeling sorry for themselves. Whenever my parents made me do something I didn’t want to do or anything I felt was too hard, I would go up to my room and mope around. I don’t know exactly when my attitude changed, but it did, and I am a better person now because of it. No longer do I spend my time feeling sorry for myself. Instead, I reflect on the situation and know that only I can change it.

Mistakes are always considered a bad thing, while most of the time they are, sometimes they can be good. In my life, there are so many more mistakes I can remember than accomplishments. I can remember the day I broke the radius and ulna in my wrist after dunking and the embarrassment I felt once I returned from school, or the time when I broke one of my neighbor’s windows. Yet, through these situations, I was able to learn not to take things for granted, and to be more careful in certain situations. If I had not made these mistakes I would never have learned that.

So, I have learned to cherish my mistakes and learn from them. I think the most successful people in life aren’t the people that make the least amount of mistakes. It is the people that learn how to overcome their obstacles in order to succeed in life. As I grow older and go off to college, I’m not going to be the person that does everything right, and I know it. But, I know that I will learn from any situation, which will hopefully make me succeed in life.