Anna - guilderland, New York

Living Reality

I believe that “what doesn’t kill you can make you stronger”

You are not strong if you have muscles and work out at the gym everyday. You are strong when you have faced a tragedy or hard decision and gotten over it, though it may have been hard, you never gave up and now that experience has made you a better person.

I believe I am strong as a person for I have been through the worst, and the best of times. I have to thank my parents, not for the sappy “you have been there for me and I couldn’t ask for anything more”, but the truth. I have to say that when I was going through my parents divorce, I felt betrayal, sadness, and most of all confusion. I was young, so you expect confusion but my confusion was different, it was from not having the “whole story” and not seeing the “big picture”. The day of moving I thought that we were moving as a family, I was happy and very excited, but everything changed when I stepped foot into our soon to be home. Something wasn’t right; I could feel it hovering in the air like a bird circling its prey, I was the prey but the only thing chasing me was fear. I was right, it wasn’t a happy day, it was a day where the title “family” didn’t fit us anymore the day where everything changed. I still have those feelings, but I also have another one. I have a thank you. You must think, how I could be thanking my parents for the drastic hard change they have put upon me and the sudden new responsibilities, like the switching of houses from mom to dad, back to mom… and the responsibilities of helping my younger sister understand what’s going on, and what happened, the responsibilities to show her that I am a strong enough person for her to want to be strong. When people say their life is hard, I can’t say that mines worse, because I don’t know the extent of there life, but when people say I’m so sad my dad is away on business trip and I haven’t seen him for 3 days. I can’t help but get annoyed because I then realize how much they don’t know about me, and my life. I couldn’t imagine my life without my parents being divorced and though many, many times are hard, I know I am a strong person because of this experience and many others.