Justin - Wheaton, Illinois

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

I believe in superheroes. Though I do not take a train ride to the city to see web-slinging action; nor do I see a man in a big red cape and skin tight clothing flying around. I do not see the bat-mobile cruising down the streets of the cold Chi, and I surely do not see evil-villains heckling innocent citizens who are helplessly waiting for their masked heroes to arrive on the scene, swoop them away, and save them from the evil realms of the potential jailbirds. Rather, I believe that people are unaware of the unsung heroes that make everyone’s life easier and better.

I am constantly around people everyday who help make my life easier. I start at my home. I wake up out of bed and walk downstairs on our clean and soft carpet. I see the beautifully lit Christmas tree and take out a cleaned dish to eat my breakfast in. My mom is one of those unsung heroes in my life. She is one of the people who do all the little things to make my life better and more luxurious, always putting others first before her.

Instead of a train or bus ride to the city, I take a leisurely walk through the tangled jungles of my high school’s hallways. I smile to the people I know and even the people I don’t know. I see people caring for other people: pushing someone in a wheelchair, helping someone grab books out of their locker, and someone sticking up for someone who is getting heckled. Unfortunately, I do not see enough of these acts of good. I find my friends and listen to them talk about how they dislike someone, or how they saw someone do something embarrassing. I see too many people doing the heckling, and not enough people trying to stop it.

It’s not just a matter of good and bad either. It’s the simple things that I notice, that people do, like the cleared sidewalks that someone shoveled for the students, the changed garbage’s in the classrooms, the cleaned lunch tables, the edged sidewalks at my house and all the lawn care my dad does. The money my parents shell out on all their children. These are all acts of kindness that people do that goes unnoticed. These are the real superheroes.

I believe that the real superheroes are the ones that surround us. They do not dress up in tights or wear masks over their faces, nor do they save peoples lives in a dramatic function, but they still help people in many ways. They save us from extra dirty work that needs to be done. They save us from unnecessary stress by taking a load off their backs. People are naturally good to each other and I believe that the people who are kinder to others do not receive the credit they deserve. Never-the-less, we still live amongst superheroes.