Anna - Wheaon, Illinois
Themes: sports

Breathe the Air

I believe in breathing the air. I work, help with the school wrestling team, play softball, intern for a head chef, and am constantly thinking about what is next on my to do list. Like most people I rarely take time to appreciate what goes on around me. Henry David Thoreau, a well respected philosopher, once said, “Live each season as it passes, breath the air, taste the fruit, drink the drink, and resign yourself to the influences of each.” I came across this quote my junior year of high school. My teacher, Mr. Peterselli, told us to pick a quote that we could live our lives by. I picked this one.

Breathing the air is essential to life. The air you breathe is like the friends you hang around. What you take in is your choice. Yes, I may live in a heavily polluted that isn’t the best for my health, mentally or physically, but it is up to me to make the best of the situation. Are am I going to hang around those toxins and let them get under my skin? How are am going to improve my health and benefit from the situation I’m in to make it better. I am going to breathe the air that you is natural for me.

Taste the fruit of life-physical, mental, and emotional. I must satisfy all parts to be happy. Physically, I eat what is good for me. I work out, go for a walks, and treat my body as a temple. Mentally, love I love who I am, just knowing that there is no one else like me. I would say that its better to be overly confident then to drown yourself in self-pity. This will helps me emotionally as well. When you like who you are, you don’t feel the need to be with someone all the time for emotional support; you’re confident in who you are.

Drink the drink of culture. I open eyes to something different. This is something that everyone needs to do, kids, parents, teachers, learners- the list goes on. I listen to what people say, and take it in instead of cutting them off and spitting out what I already know and think. I like to think that I understand people a little bit more- why they are, and why they do what they do, even if I don’t agree with it. Drink this drink, and let it run through your body. Dispose of what you don’t like and appreciate what is new.

Resign yourself to the influences of each. Take one day at a time. I find such simple things can make such a big difference not only my life but the people around me, too. I believe in breathing the air.