Christopher - Winfield, Illinois
Themes: integrity

Doing the Right Thing

I believe in doing the right thing. I have been crossed many times with the question of do what is right or do what will be the least amount of work. Lots of time at school I go for the least amount of work. When I am working for my grandparents at our family store or even at there house I always do the right thing. It could be something as small as a washer to hold the handle of the lawnmower to the engine, or to fixing a light pole my grandpa backed into. I have never asked them to pay me for the work I do at there house. There has been very few times that my grandma hasn’t given me something. She is a very stubborn lady and would never have me do something and then not pay me for it. In that light I put aside money every time I get it from her and by Christmas I have a nice chunk of cash to get them a very nice gift. I think that is the right thing to do.

I believe in doing the right thing but some times I don’t do what is right. I’ve been to parties, been late to curfew, and cut class a few times. I have never really gotten anything from those things except for the fear of being caught. It not a good thing necessarily but I did learn that if you get caught at twelve in the morning you better just come out and tell the truth. First of all there is no way to doge it. Second, there going to get the truth it all just a matter of time.

But anyways back to the right thing to do. If I’m walking down the street and I see a twenty dollar bill I look around and put it right in my wallet. With out even a second thought. I could have asked if it was anyone’s or donate it to some sort of fund raiser. But I could also go out to lunch and not spend any money I worked for. This actually happened to me one day a few years ago. I ended up spending some of the money on a Gatorade. I felt sort of bad that I did that and the next week at church I gave the rest to the collection basket.

Doing the right thing in my mind is never an easy thing to do. Why help someone before you can help yourself? In my mind I will always do what is right in the long run.