Melissa - Carol Stream, Illinois

Holding On To The Reigns

I believe in holding on to the reigns. Anyone who has ever gone horseback riding knows in order to maintain control of the two-thousand pound animal you are on, you have to hold on to the reigns, unless you want to consider yourself a goner.

When I was younger, my brother and I went horseback riding. He thought he was cool not holding on to the reigns. Well, without warning, his horse took off running and he had no control over where he was going or how fast. As he zoomed past me on his uncontrollable horse, I tightly onto my reigns, to keep my horse from doing the same. My horse, seeing my brother’s horse running, wanted to join and took off. I thought I had total control of my horse, but clearly I didn’t. I went flying after my brother. But unlike him I didn’t freak out and scream, I pulled back on the reigns and slowly got my horse to stop.

After that incident my brother never let go of his reigns again. Even though I wasn’t the one who lost my reigns, I learned that you always have to hold on to them.

You can control what happens in life. You can by the choices you make and how you react to things. Everyday you are faced with things like what outfit to wear, what to bring to class, what you’re going to do after work or school. Those things effect what can happen in the future and prepare you for the unexpected.

My brother freaked out when he lost his reigns, if he didn’t he might have been able to reach up, grab his reigns, and stop his horse. I, on the other hand, adapted to the situation and dealt with it in the way that made the most sense to me, stopping my horse. If you don’t control some of what happens to you, you will end up screaming while your horse is running to the barn. My brother should have never let go of the reigns. If he didn’t he would have been able to gain control after his horse took off. I held on to my reigns and was able to stop my horse after he took off.

In life anything can happen, whether you are holding the reigns or not. But just to be safe, always hold on the reigns.