Kristen - Wallsburg, Utah

Kristen A

“This I Believe” Essay

December 14, 2007

Dream Big

Dreams are the food of life. One cannot truly live without having dreams or goals. So, what happens to those that don’t have their own dreams or goals? They go through life, one day at a time, and are never really working toward anything. Dreams start with hope and faith.

I am a Freshman in high school, thus it is my first year on the high school swim team. Before the swim season ever started, I had a dream. My dream was to be on the Varsity team and make it to state as a Freshman.

As I said before, dreams start with hope and faith. I knew that there was no way on earth I could make varsity and go to state if I didn’t believe and trust in myself. But hope and faith will get you no where if you do not have the willingness to work hard.

Tryouts came and I worked and worked until I dropped. The next week, coach posted the top ten Varsity members. I truly believe that I made the top ten varsity through belief in myself and a lot of hard work. And now, we are only half way through the season, and I have qualified for state in 2 events.

I believe every one has a dream, whether they know it or not. I also believe that nobody should be ashamed or made fun of for their dreams and goals in life. People should be able to share their dreams with their friends without being criticized or made fun of. People should know their friend’s dreams so they can help them accomplish them. However, I believe that if a person is made fun of by a friend for their dreams, that person is not a true friend.

I have had experience with this in my life. My friend shared her dreams with me and mine were kind of similar to hers, but I didn’t want to admit it. So, instead, I made fun of her for her dreams. I felt horrible for doing this but I didn’t know what else to do. Later on in life, my friends dreams didn’t change, but I did. I learned that I shouldn’t make fun of people for what they believe. I have apologized for making fun of her and shared my dreams with her in return.

I think everyone should have a dream. For those of you that aren’t quite sure about what your dreams are, work now to find them so you can work and develop them through life. Also, don’t dream too big. It is good to have big dreams… but not dreams that are too big. Don’t pick dreams that you know that you cannot fulfill. Pick dreams that you can accomplish in your lifetime.

In conclusion, everyone should dream and not go from day to day with nothing to reach for. Everyone should have dreams and hold fast to those dreams. Don’t give up a dream when it is already half finished. Dream big, and work hard to accomplish those dreams. This I believe.