Catherine - Heber, Utah

Catherine W

“This I Believe” Essay

December 14, 2007

Family isn’t it about Time?

When my mom was my age she didn’t spend much time with her family. I asked her “What do you wish you would have known when you were my age?”

She replied, “I wish I would have known that spending time with members of my family was important. I regret that I didn’t spend a lot of time with my family, I feel like I don’t know them now because of it.” How would you feel if your family didn’t know you?

Family time is important. Every night my family has made a commitment to eat dinner with each other and talk about the good and bad things that happened that day. I am glad we are getting to know each other better. This little act of getting to know each other has brought our family together.

Every Monday night, after we eat dinner, we have “Family Night.” We start off with a prayer and then a song. Next, on our agenda we learn about our religion. Then we have a song and prayer. But, our family night is not over. We play a game or go out to get ice cream. Our favorite family game is hide-and-go-seek. It may sound dumb that a high school student plays a “kid game,” but it is time spent with my family. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

My favorite memories are not ones that cost a lot of money. They are the memories that don’t cost much money at all. For instance, playing baseball, soccer, football, softball, kickball, capture the flag, and tag in our own backyard. Every family can do fun activities that brings them closer together. If my family can make time, yours can, too.

I think that since my family is spending time with each other we don’t have many fights. We are also willing to pitch in when each other gets hurt. My mom just broke some of her ribs. Every one in our family is pitching in to help her get though it. We cook, clean, walk home from school, help our brother, and do the animals. This has helped my mom so she can stay in bed. Even though she can’t help around the house right now we are still spending time with her. I think if we weren’t spending time with each other we wouldn’t help our with chores while my mom is hurt.

Spend time with family. Family time holds the family together. Make time for the most important things. Family’s are important. This is what I believe.