Hayley - Heber CIty, Utah

One Moment Can Say It All

Have you ever been given a gift that you will never forget? I have. The greatest gift my parents have given me is dance. I know it sounds a little silly. But, they really have given me a wonderful gift. This a gift that I will never forget.

I believe in expressing yourself. I have chosen dance as a way to express myself. Since I was three, dance has been a way for me to show how I feel. It wasn’t until I was older that I realized that dance wasn’t just great exercise, but dance was a place for me to escape. It’s almost as if I leave everything behind me. The drama at school, my homework, my friends, none of it matters when I’m dancing. When I dance, I am totally lost.

Expressing myself through dance is so different from saying it. It’s the greatest feeling when you are able to clear your mind. On many occasions, I was told that you should just lose yourself in the moment. I finally felt that feeling this year in ballet class. We were performing a combination that we had just learned. When I performed that combo for that short minute, I felt this rush through my body. I realized then, that dance really was a gift and I was very lucky to have had it given to me. Now, almost every time I perform in class or on stage, I feel that same rush. I walk out of dance with a huge smile on my face. Every night when I get home from dance I tell my parents how happy I am when I’m dancing.

I may not be the prima ballerina or the most accomplished dancer. But, I am one of the best because of the emotion I show when I dance. It takes a long time to open up and be able to show that emotion. It took me about ten years. By doing that, it has made all the difference in my dancing.

I hope that everyone can find that one moment like I did. It may be your big claim to fame moment, or it may be a small, simple moment that changes many things. I believe everyone has the right to have one moment in their life that changes things for them. Mine just happened to come through dance. To me, dance isn’t just moving my body around and around. Each individual movement means something to me.

If you are ever given a gift as I was, cherish it. Don’t throw it way. Too many people throw away a great gift, and sometimes they are never able to recover it. When you experience your own moment like this, maybe you will understand my essay a bit better. And, if you have, I think you know exactly what I’m talking about.

This I Believe.