Cody - Heber City, Utah
Themes: patriotism

Cody P

This I Believe Essay

December 14, 2007

Patriotism

I believe in patriotism. I believe that everybody that lives in the Untied States should be proud of their country and everything that it has done. They should be proud to live in the greatest country in the world and have the rights and freedoms which they enjoy everyday. They should be proud of all the men and women that have made sacrifices, even the greatest sacrifice of death, so that our country is what it is today. A quote by John F. Kennedy tells us that we should remember those who have gone on before us. It states, “A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers.”

I believe that our generation needs to stop taking for granted that we live in the United States of America. They need to be thankful for all the veterans that sacrificed so much so that we could have the lifestyle we have today. They need to remember the history of our great nation and be grateful for what they have.

Not only being ungrateful, I think an even bigger problem is not showing respect. For example, when I go to sporting events it makes me sick when I see how people my age act when the flag is present and the “Star Spangled Banner” is being sung. I see people not taking their hats off, talking to each other, and just messing around. They need to show more respect to this great symbol of our country.

Our generation seems like they don’t care about our history and everything that has happened. Other generations have had the greatest respect for our country. For example, at that same sporting event I can look up and see older people taking their hats off and putting them over their hearts while a tears run down their cheeks. It seems like people in my generation don’t even give the flag a second look. They act like it is nothing more then their mom’s dish rag. Henry Ward Beecher puts it perfectly in his quote, “A thoughtful mind, when it sees a Nation’s flag, sees not the flag only, but the Nation itself; and whatever may be its symbols, he reads chiefly in the flag the Government, the principles, the truths, the history which belongs to the Nation that sets it forth.”

All together, I think that people need to be more respectful and have a show more patriotism. I think that my grandpa serving in Wold War II has given me the desire to show more patriotism. He served on a battleship near the Philippines for nearly two years, and I am very proud of him for that. Patriotism doesn’t have to be something big like going across the seas to fight for your country. But, it shouldn’t be that hard to take off your hat during the National Anthem and show some respect for the greatest country on earth. This I believe.