Kimberly - Cary, Illinois

I believe that confidence is success.

I lost a lot of confidence in my abilities during my senior year of high school.

Many things factored in to my loss of confidence such as:

Not getting the part I wanted in the school musical.

College auditions.

The intimidation factor of leaving home in a year.

I had such a successful junior year in the music department at my high school.

I had a dance solo in the fall of my junior year, a solo in the winter concert, and a big part in the musical.

So when my senior year came around I expected the same or better.

I did not end up with the same or better though.

In fact, I felt that in the music department my senior year the only thing I had going for me was my leadership skills—acting as a role model for the underclassmen.

Then of course I had a ton of college auditions.

Most of them made me lose confidence in myself because:

1. There were so many amazing singers/dancers/actors.

2. I had been told at my Millikin audition that my acting needed major improvement.

So these things only brought down my self-esteem even more.

Don’t get me wrong, I had an awesome senior year, just not that senior year I had expected or hoped for.

The summer before arriving at college I knew I needed to make some changes in my life style if I wanted to be successful.

The first change that needed to be made was the confidence I had with myself.

I told myself I would arrive at school confident with who I was and confident with my abilities.

I knew that if I was not confident when I arrived at Millikin my nerves and low self-esteem would get the best of me and I would be unhappy.

There was NO WAY I was going to have a unhappy college career and I learned in high school that being happy is something that comes at the start.

I arrived at school knowing that I was a talented singer and dancer.

Also, knowing that my acting needed improvement, but after all isn’t that why I was going to school for theatre?

If I didn’t need improvement I wouldn’t be at school.

The confidence I brought to school (and hard work) definitely paid off.

I was really confident in my Unified Audition, but expected nothing out of it since I’m only a freshman.

I ended up getting called back for a part in the musical and that made me feel a lot better about myself.

Since I have been at school I have learned to be confident with myself.

I have improved my acting abilities with confidence and education.

I will continue to improve all of my skills here at Millikin.

And so, I believe confidence is success.